Starfleet Command
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is this place?

2 posters

Go down

What is this place? Empty What is this place?

Post  Sama Tysei Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:46 pm

I think we need to determine, first and foremost, what this forum is supposed to be in-universe. Part of the problem is that to my knowledge, Star Trek doesn't have an Internet analogue. Is this network specifically for Starfleet personnel? Or can anyone in the Alpha Quadrant access it? If it's based in the Federation, would it be accessible in the Romulan Star Empire?

Sama Tysei

Back to top Go down

What is this place? Empty Answers

Post  CAPT Darryl F Wood Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:18 pm

You are correct, Star Trek did not have an Internet analogue well into 24th century, or at least we don't know about it. However, while my memory is not perfect on it, it is obvious that in the second half of 24th century at latest, they did set up some kind of realtime communication network. As such, I have imagined that Starfleet will set up communication network, and will, with time, start providing access to the civilians. In-universe, this forum primarly is a place for Starfleet and allied (primarly Klingons) personnel, but anyone would be free to join.

I have created a special group and forum for Starfleet personnel, however, as not all messages exchanged between them would be free for eyes of non-Starfleet personnel.
CAPT Darryl F Wood
CAPT Darryl F Wood
Admin

https://starfleet-command.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

What is this place? Empty Re: What is this place?

Post  Sama Tysei Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:30 pm

My thinking is to posit that recently, people have become more used to using the network for remotely accessing databases and the like. Forums like this one would have been used by scientists to share research, with socialization coming naturally. The big difference is that, unlike the real internet, there are no search engines - you simply use your subspace transmitter to contact the physical "server". I think we can safely assume that this forum is hosted on Earth.

Sama Tysei

Back to top Go down

Post  CAPT Darryl F Wood Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:54 pm

Yes, that is the idea. By the way, most Federation scientists are affiliated with Starfleet one way or another, and Starfleet is primary Federation's military, scientific and diplomatic arm, so possible topics and discussions on this forum are rather diverse.
CAPT Darryl F Wood
CAPT Darryl F Wood
Admin

https://starfleet-command.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum